What is a SITZ Bath.
A Sitz Bath is also known as a hip bath. In a Sitz Bath, only the hips and buttocks are submerged in water or saline solutions.
The Sitz Bath is a plastic tub that fits over standard toilets so the patient can sit with only the hips, buttocks, pelvis, and lower abdomen receiving the benefits of the bath. A Sitz Bath is a common treatment for people that have had rectal surgery, hemorrhoid and ovaries pain, as well as bladder, prostrate and vagina infections.
Features of a Sitz Bath:
- Easy to clean
- Durable Polyethylene
- Fits all standard toilets
- No kink tubing assures even flow
- Wide contoured edges ensure comfort in use
- Solution bag may be hung above toilet or set on tank top
- Convenient on/off Valve
- Tubing anchored by latch to bottom of bowl to control direction of flow
- Vent prevents accidental overflow
- The average length of time for a Sitz Bath is 10 to 20 minutes.
- There is the risk of feeling dizzy after sitting in a Sitz Bath, take caution when getting out and have someone help you if necessary.
Uses of a Sitz Bath:
- Hemorrhoid Treatment
- After childbirth particularly after episiotomy
- Treating disorders of anal and genital areas, including the entire perineal area
- Comfortable, convenient way to cleanse and promote healing of the perineum
Common Additives for different requirements:
A Sitz Bath is a bath of warm water that only covers the hips or buttocks. It is used for treating pain and itching. Typically, there are no special ingredients needed for a Sitz Bath other than water, but some practitioners recommended adding certain ingredients to the water.
- Salt, such as Epsom salt, may be added to the water to reduce soreness and inflammation
- Vinegar added to a Sitz Bath may provide relief for women with a vaginal yeast infection (Thrush)
- Herbs such as Yarrow and Witch Hazel may be added to a Sitz Bath to reduce inflammation and relieve pain
- Adding baking soda to a Sitz Bath may relieve constipation, inflammation and pain
The Sitz Bath: Post-Birth Healing and Comfort for New Moms
After a vaginal birth, a woman is likely to have sore vaginal tissues. This may be aggravated by a swollen perineum, “skid marks”, a tear, an episiotomy, and/or hemorrhoids. Using a Sitz Bath is one of the most helpful ways to assist in healing and ease pain.
With the Sitz Bath a gravity-fed tube runs water into the bowl and bubbles around the opening of the vagina.
Soaking in the Sitz Bath has multiple benefits. Warm water relaxes and soothes the sore tissues, keeps the area clean and prevents infection, and helps with circulation. Cool water may prevent or treat perineal swelling. Always check with you medical practitioner, as some practitioners caution the use of cool water on a newly postpartum woman.
To benefit the most, you may begin using the Sitz Bath 24 hours after birth, when you can be up and about more comfortably. Sit on the bath for 10-20 minutes, 1-3 times a day or as needed, until the soreness is relieved. Most practitioners commonly recommend use of the Sitz Bath for at least one week after birth.
Although water itself is healing, making an herbal tea to put into the Sitz Bath may help the vaginal tissues to heal faster.
Here are a few recipes that you can try – the water should be on the hotter side, but not uncomfortable.
- Natural Antiseptic – 2oz of these mixed herbs:
Rosemary, Sage and Garlic
2 TBSP sea salt.
- Soothing and nourishing – 2oz of these mixed herbs:
Yarrow, Calendula, Lavender and Rose petals
2 TBSP sea salt
- An old remedy for a soak is to mix equal parts Uva Ursi, Shepherd’s purse and Calendula (available from a herb supplier) in a large jug.
Fill the jug with boiling water, seal it and let it stand for 8 hours at room temperature. Strain the herbs from the liquid and add the tea to the bath water.
- Add 2 handfuls each of Yarrow flowers, Calendula flowers, Rosemary leaves, and Comfrey root to 2 pints of just boiled water.
Cover, steep for 10-15 minutes, and strain. This herbal solution will soothe tenderness, relieve inflammation, improve circulation, protect against bacteria, and aid cell repair. Any leftover solution can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days
The Sitz Bath is an effective treatment for Hemorrhoids.
This is one of the most popular and effective treatments for mild to moderate cases of hemorrhoids and is being increasingly used by many.
It is often the first form of treatment doctors will recommend.
The Sitz Bath is a small tub that is made especially for this purpose.
Fill the Sitz Bath with warm water as well as salt or baking soda. Once dissolved, then you are to soak the anal area for fifteen to twenty minutes.
Some people also like to add essential oils to the water, to further help reduce the swelling and provide more comfort. Juniper or lavender tends to work well for this purpose.
This is going to allow the mixture to thoroughly clean the infected and swollen area, help to cure the hemorrhoids and prevent further infection.
The Sitz Bath is also going to provide instant comfort and relief from irritating and painful symptoms that are caused by the condition. Since those suffering from hemorrhoids typically do experience a great deal of pain, this is a huge benefit that this treatment has to offer.
Using a sitz bath is very cost effective in comparison to other treatments.
Make sure you are eating a healthy and well balanced diet to provide the fibre intake that you need and helping to keep your bowels regular. Those who have diets that are very unbalanced and are composed of mostly highly processed foods are typically going to be a much higher risk of haemorrhoids, therefore taking steps to get yourself eating well should be a priority as well.
If the condition keeps on persisting despite you using Sitz Bath treatments, then you may want to look into contacting your doctor and looking into more advanced medical treatments.
Some people do develop the condition so bad that actual medical treatments are necessary, so you need to know the difference of when you are recovering and when the situation is staying the same or potentially even getting worse. In most cases though a Sitz Bath will do the job nicely and you won’t have any other problems related to this particular outbreak of the condition.
Hemorrhoid also spelt Haemorrhoid.